Hazardous Road Conditions Lead To Closures
HARTFORD, Mich. — Snow and ice resulted in a number of crashes and road closures around West Michigan on Saturday.
The largest and most serious was a crash involving dozens of drivers, including three from Canada, at 9:50 a.m. Saturday on eastbound Interstate 94 near County Road 687 (Hartford exit 46) in Van Buren County.
Van Buren County Sheriff’s Department deputies said dozens of semis and passenger vehicles were involved in the crash, which took place in near-white-0ut conditions and was caused by vehicles traveling too fast and too close to one another.
There were no injuries.
I-94 traffic was detoured at the Watervliet exit for about two hours while the multiple crashes were investigated and the vehicles removed from the roadway.
In addition to I-94 at exit 46 near Hartford in Van Buren County, among the roadways with entire roadways or lanes closed by the Michigan State Police and Michigan Department of Transportation due to weather related accidents Saturday were the following:
* westbound Interstate 96 at M-6 in Kent County.
* westbound Interstate 196 after College Avenue in Kent County.
* northbound U.S. 131 after Interstate 94 exit 34 in Kalamazoo County.
* eastbound Interstate 94 at 64th Street in Van Buren County.
* eastbound Interstate 94 after Friday Road in Berrien County.