GREENVILLE, Mich. — Julie Kent, of Greenville, just wanted to do something special for her family this Valentine’s Day.
She said she bought some chocolates for them a week ago, and she decided to take a bite for herself.
That’s when she found out alone.
“I opened it up, put it in my mouth and noticed it had a weird texture and taste to it,” she added.
She said she found several insects.
“And we kept opening them, opening them, opening them, worm after worm,” she explained.
She said she bought the pre-packaged bag about a week ago. After seeing the creepy crawlers, she said her daughter went on YouTube and found other people who’ve experienced the same problem with chocolate.
“Woe, there’s a big one right there crawling across the thing,” she pointed out.
Kent said she called The Hershey Company to put in a complaint; however she said the representative put the blame on her.
FOX 17 went on YouTube and found at least a dozen videos posted by people who had similar experiences.
“It was basically… it was how you stored them and I don’t know what they are but if people are finding these in different states, I don’t understand how it can be blamed on me,” she said.
While her Valentine’s Day took an unexpected turn, she’s decided to lay low from the chocolate this occasion and is offering a little advice.
“Don’t just pop a kiss into your mouth, open it up, look at it before you put it in your mouth,” she advised.
FOX 17 reached out to Hershey on the matter. They haven’t returned our call yet.
Combing the internet, FOX 17 found that this occurrence isn’t out of the ordinary. Factors that can contribute to bug-contaminated packaging includes how they are stored and if there is an opening in that packaging (allowing bugs to gain access).