8-Year-Old Byron Center Boy Dies Of Bacterial Meningitis
BYRON CENTER, Mich. — An 8-year-old third-grader from Byron Center has died of bacterial meningitis.
Ethan Giang — an 8-year-old third-grade student at St. John Vianney School in Wyoming — died Thursday. The Kent County Health Department has confirmed that his death was due to bacterial meningitis.
St. John Vianney principal Gregg Bruno sent a letter home with students Friday. The Health Department said there was no public health risk, but as a precaution the school undertook a thorough cleaning of all its classrooms and communal spaces.
School will resume at St. John Vianney on Tuesday.
Ethan Giang’s visitation is scheduled from 5 to 7 p.m. Sunday at St. John Vianney Church, with a prayer vigil in English at 5:30 p.m. Sunday and a prayer vigil in Vietnamese at 7 p.m. Sunday. The funeral is slated for 11 a.m. Monday at the church.