He later died at the hospital.
Chief Terron McLean early Wednesday confirmed the firefighter’s death, but did not give further details.
The firefighter, who volunteered with the Mattawan Fire Department, was a graduate of Mattawan High School and worked at a trucking company next door.
The owner of the home suffered some burns in the fire, and crews were back at the scene Wednesday morning dealing with hot spots. It is believed the fire was caused by a space heater in the garage.
(Reporting by Lindsay Kus, FOX 17)