LANSING, Mich. — The Michigan Department of Transportation announced this week that road construction projects in the state will be put on hold over the Memorial Day weekend as usual.
But some lane closures will remain in place, even if no work is being done. Because no workers will be present, construction zone speed limits will be 60 miles per hour unless otherwise posted:
I-196 eastbound at Market Avenue: left lane closed at first, then traffic shifts to the left lane over the Grand River.
I-96 at Nunica: Traffic shifts to the eastbound side and only one lane is available. The exit ramp from westbound I-96 to M-104 closed; the eastbound exit ramp to Cleveland Street closed.
I-194 south of Battle Creek: Lane closures from I-94 to Hamblin Avenue.
M-37 closed north of Mesick on the way to Traverse City. A detour is posted on county roads.
US-31 has a temporary signal delaying traffic south of Elk Rapids.
I-94, one lane closed northbound and southbound south of Bridgman.
Here is a complete list from MDOT of various closures that must remain in effect over the holiday weekend:
- I-96 in Crockery Township, Ottawa County, has one lane open in each direction with a traffic shift. Ramp closures include the eastbound M-104 ramp to eastbound I-96, the westbound I-96 exit ramp to M-104 in Nunica, and the eastbound I-96 exit ramp to Cleveland Street (Nunica exit).
- I-96, Ionia County, has traffic shifts in each direction over the Portland Trail with two lanes open in each direction.
- I-196 in Grand Rapids, Kent County, has one lane open on eastbound I-196 over the Grand River near Market Avenue, and all lanes open on westbound I-196. The Market Avenue ramp to eastbound I-196 is closed.
- M-11 (28th Street) in Kentwood/Cascade Township, Kent County, has one lane open in each direction with traffic shifted between Patterson Avenue and I-96.
- US-131 in Grand Rapids, Kent County, has two northbound lanes open from I-196 to Ann Street, and all southbound lanes open. The eastbound I-196 ramp to northbound US-131 is closed, as well as the Leonard Street/Scribner Avenue ramp to northbound US-131.
- I-94, Berrien County, has one lane closed in each direction from Sawyer to Bridgman.
- I-194 in Battle Creek, Calhoun County, has one lane closed in each direction between I-94 and Hamblin Avenue.
- M-62 in Dowagiac, Cass County, will have one lane of traffic open on each of the bridges east and west of town over the Dowagiac Creek via temporary signals.
- M-89 in Plainwell, Allegan County, will have westbound lanes detoured from Sherwood Avenue to 8th Street. All lanes on US-131 will be open, including all ramps.
- M-216, St. Joseph County, is closed at US-131 for reconstruction. A detour is posted.
- US-12, Berrien County, has one lane closed in each direction from Mayflower Road in Buchanan to M-139 in Niles.
- US-12 in New Buffalo, Berrien County, has one lane closed in each direction at I-94.
Northern Lower Peninsula
- M-37, Wexford County, is closed from M-115 to 4 Road for reconstruction. A detour is posted.
- US-31, Grand Traverse County, has a temporary signal on the bridge over Tobeco Creek.
Central Michigan and Thumb
- I-75, Genesee County, will have the northbound and southbound ramps to eastbound I-69 closed with traffic detoured. Motorists can use I-475 as an alternate route or follow the posted detour.
- I-75 near Saginaw, Saginaw County, currently has all southbound lanes and multiple ramps closed between the north and south junctions with I-675 for paving on I-75 and replacing bearing pads on the Zilwaukee Bridge. MDOT is working to get southbound I-75 lanes open in time for the Memorial Day holiday. Be sure to check Mi Drive (www.michigan.gov/drive) regularly and follow MDOT on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/MDOT_Bay for the latest construction and lane closure updates on this project.
- M-25, Tuscola County, will remain closed over the Quanicassee River, between M-15 and M-24. A detour is posted.
- M-53/M-142 intersection in Bad Axe, Huron County, is closed with traffic detoured.
- M-57, Gratiot County, has two-way traffic maintained over US-127 via a traffic shift. All interchange ramps and US-127 will remain open.
- M-61 in Temple, Clare County, has one lane open over the Muskegon River under temporary traffic signals.
- M-84/M-13 (Salzburg Avenue) in Bay City, Bay County, is closed between Euclid Avenue and Wenona Avenue. A detour is posted.
- US-127 Business Route (BR) in Harrison, Clare County, has two-way traffic maintained under US-127 via a traffic shift in northern Harrison. All interchange ramps and US-127 will remain open.
- I-96, Livingston County, has three lanes open in each direction at Latson Road with a traffic shift.
- M-50, Eaton County, is closed between Vermontville Highway and Needmore Highway, north of Charlotte.
- M-99, Jackson County, has one lane open over Rice Creek with a temporary signal, just south of Springport.
- M-143 (Michigan Avenue) in East Lansing, Ingham County, has one lane open in each direction between Harrison Road and M-43.
- US-23, Monroe County, has one lane open in each direction between Sterns Road and US-223 with a traffic shift. Also, the following ramps are closed with a detour posted:
- The southbound US-23 ramp to US-223, and
- The US-223 ramp to northbound US-23.
- US-24 (Telegraph Road), Monroe County, has one lane open in each direction with a traffic shift between Stewart Road and Hurd Street.
- US-127, Ingham County, has two lanes open in each direction at Lake Lansing Road with a traffic shift. On Lake Lansing Road, two westbound lanes are open and one eastbound lane is open over US-127.
Metro Detroit Region
City of Detroit:
- M-85 (Fort Street) has one lane open in each direction between Oakwood Boulevard and Bayside Street with a traffic shift.
- Van Dyke Avenue remains closed over I-94. A detour is posted.
- West Grand Boulevard remains closed over I-94. A detour is posted.
- The northbound I-75 exit to Eureka Road is closed. A detour is posted.
- M-85 (Fort Street) has one lane open in each direction between Pennsylvania and Sibley roads.
- M-102 (Eight Mile Road) has two lanes open in each direction between M-39 (Southfield Freeway) and US-24 (Telegraph Road).
- I-94 has the westbound left lane closed from Masonic Boulevard to I-696.
- M-53 is closed between 34 Mile and Ebeling roads. A detour is posted.
- M-97 (Groesbeck Highway) has two lanes open in each direction between 14 Mile and Hayes roads.
- 21 Mile Road is closed over M-53. A detour is posted.