DETROIT — Tigers manager Jim Leyland said if he had a vote he would select Max Scherzer as the American League Cy Young winner. He doesn’t have a Cy Young vote, but Leyland does decide who starts the Tigers AL division series against the Oakland Athletics and he’s going with his Cy Young-winner.
Max Scherzer will start Game 1 of the ALDS for Detroit with Justin Verlander set to start Game 2. Anibal Sanchez will start Game 3 when the ALDS moves to Detroit and Doug Fister is set to start Game 4.
Thanks to the extra off-day in the series, both Scherzer and Verlander would be available to start a possible Game 5. Leyland says if the series gets that far he plans on having Scherzer start it.
The Tigers-A’s ALDS schedule is (all times eastern):
- Game 1: Friday, Oct. 4 in Oakland @ 9:37 p.m.
- Game 2: Saturday, Oct. 5 in Oakland @ 9:07 p.m.
- Game 3: Monday, Oct. 7 in Detroit @ TBD
- Game 4*: Tuesday, Oct. 8 in Detroit @ TBD
- Game 5*: Thursday, Oct. 10 in Oakland @ TBD