Schools to Get Life-Saving Donations
KENTWOOD, Mich.– It’s a gift that could potentially save the life of a student athlete.
Ten schools in the greater Grand Rapids area will be getting these life-saving medical devices for free. They’ll be presented with automated external defibrillators, or AEDs, during a special ceremony Wednesday morning.
It’s all being made possible by donations from the Gus Macker basketball tournament held over the summer. The popular three-on-three basketball tournament drew 240 teams to Metro Health, raising more than $10,400 to purchase AEDs, which are portable devices used to treat potentially life-threatening cardiac arrhythmias.
The AEDs cost about $1,500 a piece.
The presentation will be at Challenger Elementary School, 2475 52nd Street SE in Kentwood. The other schools receiving one are listed below:
· Brown Elementary in Byron Center
· Endeavor Elementary in Kentwood
· Godfrey-Lee Public Schools in Wyoming
· Godwin Heights Public Schools in Wyoming
· Kelloggsville Public Schools
· West Elementary in Wyoming
· West Michigan Lutheran High School in Wyoming
· Wyoming Community Education
· Wyoming Junior High School