OTSEGO, Mich. — Residents in several units of the Brookside Terrace Apartments were forced into the cold and snow early Wednesday when their apartment building caught fire.
Authorities gave them shelter at nearby Dix Elementary School until more definite assistance could be offered. No one was hurt.
Though the fire was believed to have started on a second-floor balcony, damage was enough that part of the roof collapsed.
Otsego’s fire chief said he didn’t know if smoke detectors were operative inside the apartment units, which are at 651 Brookside Drive, just south of M-89.