News

GR Firefighters Respond to Porch Fire

battalion chief and flames

Battalion Chief at scene

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Firefighters responded to a porch fire in the 1200 block of Oakleigh Ave NW Monday night.

The fire was reported at about 8:42 p.m., according to Grand Rapids Fire Department. A couch in an enclosed porch had caught fire. When firefighters arrived the flames had quickly spread to the walls of the home.

Everybody at the residence made it out safely. One firefighter had a problem with his mask and was taken to the hospital to be evaluated for exposure to the smoke. A battalion chief at the scene told FOX 17 that crews had been out all day clearing snow from around fire hydrants throughout the city and that because of that they where able to quickly locate nearby hydrants. He also said that because of the terrible weather conditions they made sure and rotate crews to that no one was out in the cold for too long.

Officials at the scene say the fire was likely caused by a space heater that was sitting near the couch, as the homeowner reported. An investigator will be at the home Tuesday to look at the scene to confirm the cause of the fire.

VIEW & ADD COMMENTS

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Advertisement

Advertisement