Grand Rapids Public Schools Offer Schools Of Choice In Expo
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich.– It’s ‘School of Choice Week’ across the country, with events planned to give families opporunities to learn more about other educational options. If you are a parent in the Grand Rapids area looking into what other options are available for your child, there is an event planned Thursday, January 30th.
The “We Are GR School Choice Expo” is a free for current and prospective students. It’s from 4-7 p.m. at the Ford Academic Center. There will be free dinner and activities.
Theme School and Center of Innovation applications are now available for the 2014-15 school year. The second round deadline for applications is February 28th.
Paperless applications are available in English and Spanish at apply.grps.org. Interested parents can also pick up paper applications at any Grand Rapids Public school or the GRPS Administration Building, located at 1331 Franklin St SE.
Featured schools include:
- City High Middle School (7-12), West Michigan’s top performing school, offering the prestigious International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum
- Gerald R. Ford Academic Center (PK-8), combining college prep and character education
- Blandford School (6th grade only), Zoo School (6th grade only), and the Center for Economicology (6th grade only), part of the City High Middle family of schools and ranked among the “Coolest Schools in America” by Parent and Child Magazine
- GR Montessori (PK-12) and North Park Montessori (PK-8), the region’s only public Montessori theme schools
- Innovation Central (9-12), offering college prep curriculum and strong public-private partnerships to prepare students for the careers of the future
- o Academy of Design and Construction
- o Academy of Business, Leadership, & Entrepreneurship
- o Academy of Health, Sciences, & Technology
- o Academy of Modern Engineering (formerly GRAPCEP)
- Grand Rapids University Prep Academy (6-12), featuring small class sizes and rigorous college prep curriculum in a brand new, state of the art building
- Southwest Community Campus (PK-8), the area’s leading English/Spanish dual immersion school
- C.A. Frost Environmental Science Academy (K-8), offering a challenging, environmentally focused, hands-on education
- Coit Creative Arts Academy (K-5), featuring an arts-infused curriculum that integrates creative expression, movement, and music with academic excellence
- Sherwood Park Global Studies Academy (K-8), teaching children through a global perspective and preparing them for the real world and global economy
- Turning Point Academy
- Ottawa Hills High School
- Union High School