It happened at an apartment-style home on Indiana Ave. SW in Grand Rapids. FOX 17’s Nicole DiDonato spoke to the residents, who say everyone made out safely except for the cat.
One resident says she thought she heard a breaking noise, and believes the fire started in the back of the house, the kitchen, or the back yard.
Firefighters were able to knock the flames down shortly after arriving at the scene. Fire was seen coming from the back of the home, as well as from the roof.
The fire chief at the scene confirmed the cat did not survive. In total, four adults and two kids all made it out safely. There were no injuries reported.
The Grand Rapids Fire Department is reminding residents about it’s Residential Safety Program. A fire official will come to your home, install smoke detectors and give a safety assessment all for free. It used to be reserved for certain neighborhoods but is now open to homeowners throughout the city. The number is 616-456-3966 or click this link for more information.