Red Cross Shelter In Kentwood Providing Food, Water And Place To Stay For Residents
(GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. July 7, 2014) — According to a news release the Red Cross shelter set up last night in Kentwood remains open to help residents following last night’s storms. The shelter is located at the Kentwood Community Center at 355 48th Street SE.
Residents who are without power or have been impacted by last night’s storms are encouraged to visit the shelter for food, water, and a place to stay.
The Red Cross offers the following tips for those in the affected area to stay safe:
· Go to a designated public shelter if you are forced to leave your residence due to storm damage
· Help people who require special assistance such as elderly people living alone, people with disabilities and children.
· Follow the instructions provided by local emergency workers. If you are asked to stay in your home, don’t try to leave. If you are not allowed to enter your neighborhood, please come to a Red Cross shelter until conditions are safe for you to return home.
· During an emergency, letting your family know that you are safe can bring your loved ones great peace of mind. If you are affected by the storm, register on the Red Cross Safe and Well Website.
· Download the free Flood and Tornado Apps from the American Red Cross. These are available on all Apple and Android devices and include updated information on shelter locations and what to do before, during, and after a storm.
The Red Cross is in communication with emergency management and the shelter will remain open as long as necessary. If residents need assistance with evacuation, they are encouraged to call 9-1-1.
You can help people affected by disasters like floods, fires, tornadoes, and hurricanes by making a donation to support American Red Cross Disaster Relief. To make a financial contribution, visit redcross.org/donate, text REDCROSS to 90999, or call 1-800-RED-CROSS.