GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Grand Rapids Fire Department said a child playing with a lighter ignited a blaze that tore through an apartment building last week.
The fire broke out July 24th on Fourth Street Northwest, across the street from St. Adalbert’s Basilica. According to Grand Rapids Battalion Fire Chief Dan Stoddard, the roof collapsed onto the second floor, which then collapsed onto the first floor.
At least nine units were destroyed which displaced 18 residents.
Neighbors initially told FOX 17 News crews that a child may have started the blaze.
None of the residents was hurt.