Holiday Meal Planning with Chef Perkey of Osteria Rossa, 16 Monroe Ct. NE. Call 988-9350 or visit Osteriarossa.com .
Serves 4 as an appetizer
Olive oil – ½ Cup
Onions chopped – 2 Tablespoons
Garlic chopped – ½ Tablespoons
20-25 county shrimp (peeled and deveined) – 16 each
Sambuca – ¼ Cup
White wine – ½ Cup
Butter cold and chopped – ¼ Cup
Lacinato Kale or another tender winter green – 8 leaves
Kosher Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Over medium heat warm a saute pan large enough to hold all the ingredients for about 1 minute.
- Add ¼ Cup of the olive oil and warm for 30 seconds. Add the onion and the garlic and saute for about three minutes until they are translucent but not coloring.
- Add the shrimp and gently cook and continue stirring about 2 minutes.
- Carefully add the Sambuca, watch out as it will ignite. Stir gently until the flame goes out then add the wine.
- Reduce the wine by half. Add the butter and salt and remove from the heat. Stir in the butter until it is all melted and you have a nice thick sauce.
- Toss the greens with the rest of the oil and a pinch of salt and place on a platter.
- Pour the shrimp and the sauce over the greens and serve very warm.
Serves 4 as a starter
Michigan apples – 2 each
Toasted Walnuts - ½ Cup
Baby Lettuce – 4 ounces
Balsamic Dressing – ½ Cup
Kosher Salt – 1 Tablespoon
Goat Cheese – 2 Tablespoons
Pickled Cherries – ½ Cup
Black Pepper – About three twists of a grinder
- Cut the apples into matchstick size pieces
- Toss the apples, walnuts, lettuce, dressing and salt in a mixing bowl then place on a large platter.
- Crumble the goat cheese over the top and the pickled cherries.
- Grind the pepper over the top and watch everyone dig in!