School Closings and Cancellations

XO Asian Cuisine owner ‘sorry,’ working to fix health code violations

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Given seven days by the Kent County Health Department to fix violations, management and contractors at XO Asian Cuisine say they are working to meet their deadline to reopen.

The popular downtown Grand Rapids restaurant was forced to close Friday for roughly 30 different health code violations that were found during an inspection last week. In March, owners were told they had 30 days to get their facility up to code.

Osmond Chan, co-owner of XO Asian Cuisine, told FOX 17 on Sunday he hired a consulting company one month ago to help fix the problem. Chan said he'd met every day with consultants to see if there were any mistakes, "anything we need to correct," but Chan says he was given a positive review and was told his facility was "ready for inspection."

"We're just doing whatever we need to do," Chan said.

Since the closure, Chan has hired new consulting company, Cecil Consulting and Training"We met with the owners, started to develop a plan of action for them to take charge of their own establishment to get it cleaned up and organized," said Brian Cecil.

"From what I saw Friday to today, they've taken it very seriously. I think they're going to step up and really do a good job here."

Condensers inside the restaurants cooler have been replaced, leaks in the floor near the dishwasher have been fixed, and the basement storage area has been reorganized.

Chan said management and employees will be retrained to ensure violations don't happen again.

"We are trying our best to let people see we change, we're doing our best," Chan said. "We're facing the problem."

Inspectors must find no violations before the restaurant can reopen.

"We're going to get the situation under control with their help, because it's really their responsibility," Cecil told FOX 17 of the restaurant's owners. "I can help them out, understand the principles, and the concepts and everything, but they really have to implement it."

Chan said the Kent County Health Department will return for another inspection on April 28, and the restaurant could reopen as soon as the following day.

(Read the full Kent County Health Department report)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

5 comments

  • Vernon

    “Sorry” isn’t going to get me to eat there after seeing the pictures of the place. That is beyond what an “I am going to do better” is going to cover. If he was really sorry, he wouldn’t have opened the doors with the place in that sort of condition, and he would not have let it get to that point in the first place. There is simply no basis for public confidence here. The County’s process itself has been shown to be unreliable here, so we can not even rely on them! There is no way a restaurant should be allowed to continue operation when food is being stored under sewer lines, raw fish used in sushi has no parasite destruction record at all, and the rice used in conjunction with the sushi is 51 degrees! Those are immediate threats to public wellness, and not only did the County allow it to continue, they came back and found the same conditions a second and even third time!

    Look, this is not an issue of forgiveness. It is an issue of trust. If we can not trust the business to operate safely and we can not trust the County to implement timely and appropriate enforcement, you can not possibly expect anyone to eat there. Save your money, Mr. Chan…sell the place and move on.

    • Linda Carlysle

      I agree completely. I hate to see businesses go under, but sometimes it is deserved. This guy dug his own hole, and now he has to deal with the consequences. As for the county health department, they should learn from this as well. By and large I think they do a good job of inspecting, but enforcement on those inspections is far too lax. I have no problem with giving a place a warning when you find something, but if you find it the next time the hammer needs to come down, and hard! There is no legitimate reason why a third time should be tolerated. If something is found a third time, the place should be shut down…permanently.

  • Commonsense

    Sorry, you knew you had violations, you did nothing until you were forced into,improvements. Your dishwasher note on your door showed your arrogance. No more chicken fried rice for you. Kiss your long time customers goodbye.

  • J.S.

    I have worked many years in the food-service industry I can tell you honestly that you are better off preparing food at your home. The industry is filled with people like this gentleman who sacrifice public health and safety just to make a little more money. Restaurant owners like this man should be prosecuted instead of receiving a fine. The public puts their trust into the persons preparing their meals and this behavior is unacceptable. I doubt that fellow’s kitchen at home was that disgusting. My own personal code for preparing food professionally is that if I wouldn’t feed it to my wife, kids or parents, I sure as heck would’t feed to an unknown stranger. What is also disturbing is that the employees of XO willing ket their mouths shut and turned a blind eye or this situation would have been dealt with along time ago.