Worker’s cigarette caused fire at Grandville Red Lobster

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Rivertown Red Lobster Fire. Photo courtesy of Twitter user: @MarcoPoloLewis

GRANDVILLE, Mich. — The Grandville Fire Department has determined the cause of a Friday afternoon fire at the Red Lobster restaurant.

“The fire was determined to be accidental,” Grandville fire chief Mike May said Saturday, “and was caused by a roofing contractor handling combustible materials while smoking a cigarette.”

At 2:33 p.m. Friday, fire crews were called to the Red Lobster restaurant at 3464 Rivertown Pointe Court near the Rivertown Crossings mall in Grandville for a fire on the roof. Upon arriving, firefighters discovered a fire on the roof and in the adjacent parapet wall that was extinguished within 20 minutes.

The fire did not extend inside the restaurant. Damage was confined to the roof decking and parapet wall.

Two roofing contractors who were working at the site sustained minor injuries attempting to put the fire out, and were treated by EMS personnel and released at the scene.

A Grandville firefighter also was transported to Metro Hospital to be treated for heat exhaustion. He was admitted to the hospital and remained hospitalized in good condition Saturday.

Georgetown Township and Wyoming firefighters assisted the Grandville Fire Department at the scene.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s