Girl dies in Detroit after being electrocuted by power line

DETROIT (AP) — A 12-year-old girl has died in Detroit after she came in contact with an inactive power line that was energized by a live wire.

Kabrinanna Griffin was playing in a friend’s yard Wednesday when she was electrocuted. Mayor Mike Duggan calls it a “terrible tragedy that never should have happened.”

Detroit’s lighting department and DTE Energy issued a joint statement Thursday. They said the inactive line belonged to the city while the live wire was DTE’s. Lighting director Beau Taylor says the department is investigating.

Residents in the neighborhood say there are many power lines hidden by overgrown vegetation. Arnitha Brown says the wire that killed the girl was across her body. She believes Kabrinanna didn’t see it before she was electrocuted.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s