1. If there’s one group of people happy about the snowy weather, it’s winter sport enthusiasts.
That includes Bittersweet Ski Resort in Otsego, which opened for the season on Saturday.
They laid down more than a foot of fresh powder snow, which helped jump-start the beginning of the season. There’s more than 100 acres of terrain, with 20 slopes and seven chair lifts.
The resort is open from 3 to 10 p.m., lift tickets cost $30, and ski or snowboard rentals are $26.
2. Five Lakes Brewing Company in Dorr is having its grand opening on Monday.
They offer a lot more than beer, there are cider, wine, and food menus. In addition to beer, there are 20 lanes of bowling.
The brewery is located right off 142nd Avenue. The grand opening starts at 11 a.m.
3. Michigan State Police Troopers collected items for their annual Stuff the Blue Goose campaign over the weekend.
They were at the Walmart in Wyoming collecting non-perishable food and toys for kids. All donations will go to families in need during the holiday season.
One of the troopers said it’s a meaningful way to pay it forward.
Along with the collection in Wyoming, Troopers were also accepting items outside the Walmart in Grand Haven on Sunday.
4. More than 100 people in need now have scarves and blankets to stay warm this winter thanks to people paying it forward.
Dozens of volunteers from Faith Church handed out the items on Sunday in Grand Rapids’ Heartside neighborhood.
They also passed out toys to children so they would have something special for Christmas, which is new this year.
They’re able to give the gifts with the help of their members, as well as donations from local businesses.
5. Someone will get to spend the Christmas holiday at the iconic “A Christmas Story” house and museum in Cleveland, Ohio.
A two-night stay at the house, from December 24-26, was up for auction last week. The winner gets to bring three guests, and they’ll also get more than $800 in gifts, including a “major award leg lamp.”
The house is the fictional boyhood home of Ralphie Parker from the 1983 film. Ebay lists the winning bid as $6,200.