Indianapolis man faces 3 life sentences for killing spree

Jonathan Cruz - photo from FOX 59

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — An Indianapolis man is facing three consecutive life sentences for killing three people over four days in attacks that authorities say he justified by citing the horror movie, “The Purge.”

A Marion County judge is scheduled Thursday to formally sentence 20-year-old Johnathan Cruz, who pleaded guilty last month to three counts of murder. Prosecutors dropped plans to seek the death penalty.

Cruz was charged with fatally shooting three men during attacks on Indianapolis’ east and north sides last spring. Detectives say a witness told them Cruz confessed he’d been “purging” by shooting and robbing people, referring to the 2013 movie with a plot about violent crime, including murder, being legal one night each year.

Prosecutor Terry Curry says the attacks by Cruz were “absolutely random.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

1 Comment

  • steve

    The guy pleaded guilty to three murders for God’s sake! Three innocent people are dead, yet the prosecutors traded away the death penalty for the verdict for life? Smart thinking. Spare a killer’s life after he took three others’ lives and let the taxpayers pay to keep him alive in prison for who knows how long. Idiots.