Fatal Grandville fire determined to be accidental

GRANDVILLE, Mich. – A house fire that killed a 27-year-old man in Grandville has been ruled accidental.

Fire investigators say that Casey Dykhouse, the owner of the home in the 3200 block of 30th Street SW, was known to sit on the enclosed front porch and smoke cigarettes.  The fire started on the porch on May 28.

Investigators say that Dykhouse also used combustible containers, like plastic coffee cups and a cardboard box to collect his smoking materials. The home did have smoke alarms, but not on the porch and by the time Dykhouse was aware of the fire he could not escape the heavy smoke.

Investigators say Dykhouse died from smoke inhalation.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s