Michigan Capitol closed when electrical failure causes smoke

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — An electrical failure that led to sparking and smoke in a closet closed Michigan’s Capitol building for the day.

Capitol facilities director Robert Blackshaw says the Capitol was evacuated Friday morning and is scheduled to reopen as normal on Monday. He says staff reacted quickly so no water was released from the fire suppression system.

One person was treated for smoke inhalation.

The cause of the electrical failure was a transformer that Blackshaw says is being replaced. Tests will be conducted to make sure only the transformer was the issue.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s