• Follow me on:


Recent Articles
  • iphone fail

    Ouch…Guy opens new iPhone during news interview, immediately drops it on ground

    PERTH, Australia — The crowd’s reaction pretty much sums it up.

  • consumer alert

    Recalled: IKEA children’s swings due to fall hazard

    BETHESDA, Md. — The Consumer Product Safety Commission has announced the recall of IKEA children’s swings that pose a fall hazard. Below is the information for this recall. IKEA ‘GUNGGUNG’ Children’s Swings — The suspension fittings can break causing a child to fall from the swing, posing a risk of serious injury.  About 2,000 units in the United States are impacted by the recall.  There have been four reports worldwide including one in Germany, two in Austria and one in […]

  • map of gps signal

    Illinois students ask for help finding crashed weather balloon near South Haven

    SOUTH HAVEN, Mich. — Some students in Illinois are asking for help from the West Michigan lake shore, after the GPS signal for their weather balloon and camera went dead not far from South Haven. The call for help came in a recent post to reddit.com/r/michigan where user EGaucin12 included the following in his post: “A few classmates and I launched a weather balloon near Rockford Illinois that proceeded to go far east and into lake Michigan.  We have a […]

  • kzoo assault and arson

    Man assaults ex-girlfriend, sets bedroom on fire with her inside, and jumps through 2nd story window

    KALAMAZOO, Mich. — Police are searching for a man who they say broke into his ex-girlfriend’s house, assaulted her with a weapon, and then set fire to her bedroom with her still inside. This all happened at a home on Prospect in Kalamazoo at around 10:15 p.m. on Monday.  Officers say the estranged boyfriend assaulted his ex-girlfriend in her bedroom, leaving her with critical injuries.  He then set fire to the bedroom. Family members of the victim confronted him, but […]

  • File Photo

    Possible gas leak forces workers from packaging facility

    KENTWOOD, Mich. — Employees had to evacuate a local packaging facility early Tuesday morning, due to a possible gas leak. The call came in at around 3:30 a.m. from workers at Accord Packaging, which manufactures folding cartons for beverage transport.  The employees of the Kentwood business reported a smell of natural gas, and everyone cleared out as a precaution. Fire crews as well as DTE representatives are investigating the situation.

  • File Photo

    Coast Guard, Enbridge, and EPA to conduct simulated oil spill exercise in Michigan

    INDIAN RIVER, Mich. — More than 200 participants from the U.S. Coast Guard 9th District, Enbridge, the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, the Environmental Protection Agency, and others, will take part in an exercise on Wednesday that simulates a ‘worst-case scenario’ oil spill. According to a press release from the Coast Guard, the exercise will focus on how to respond to a breach in Enbridge’s Line 5, and a discharge of light crude oil. Enbridge, of course, is the energy […]

  • Traverse City theme song

    “Take Me There” – Have you heard Traverse City’s theme song?

    TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. — According to the above video posted on Traverse City Tourism’s official YouTube channel, local indie folk band The Hacky Turtles “captured the emotion and beauty of Traverse City, MI, in their hometown anthem, ‘Take Me There’.” Here’s a Pure Michigan blog post that takes a look at how it all came together,

  • gvsu top college

    GVSU’s Allendale campus experiences power outage

    ALLENDALE, Mich. — Grand Valley State University suffered a campus-wide power outage at its Allendale campus early Friday morning. Calls to Public Safety there were unable to connect.  Security officials at the Pew campus in Grand Rapids confirmed the outage, estimating that it occurred at around 5:30 a.m.  The power was beginning to be restored shortly after 7:00 a.m. A reason for the outage has not been given at this time.

  • Courtesy: Olivet College Twitter page

    Olivet College re-opens residence hall after multiple tests for carbon monoxide

    OLIVET, Mich. — Following numerous tests and safety precautions, Olivet College has reopened a residence hall in which dozens of students reported an illness that had symptoms that were similar to carbon monoxide poisoning. Below is the official statement from Olivet College’s website: Updated 5:33 p.m., Sept. 11 The Olivet Fire Department has repeatedly tested Blair Hall for carbon monoxide, and all readings have been and continue to be clear. Forty gas monitors were installed in the hall last evening […]