“Sleeping Bear Dunes Landscape” by Ann Loveless
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — The winners of ArtPrize 2013 were announced Friday evening, and Ann Loveless’ “Sleeping Bear Dunes Lakeshore” was the winner of the public vote.
Loveless’ piece, a landscape art quilt, won not only the most votes, but the $200,000 prize that comes with it. The top three public vote winners also included “Polar Expressed” by Anni Crouter in second place and “UPlifting” by Andy Sacksteder. They will receive $75,000 and $50,000, respectively.
Carlos Bunga’s “Ecosystem” at the SITE:LAB was the winner of the $100,000 Juried Grand Prize.
The rest of the winners are listed below.
Juried winners (each entry receives $20,000)
- Two-dimensional: “Europa and the Flying Fish” by Kyle Staver (Grand Rapids Brewing Company)
- Three-dimensional: “Through the Skies for You” by Kevin Cooley and Phillip Andrew Lewis (Kendall College)
- Time/Performance: “The Last Post” by Shahzia Sikander (Kendall College)
- Urban Space: “united.states : an everydaypeople project” by J.D. Urban (Calder Plaza)
- Venue: Kendall College of Art & Design
Remaining popular vote award winners (each receives $5,000)
- “Dancing With Mother Nature” by Paul Baliker
- “Botanica Exotica a Monumental Collection of the Rare beautiful” by Jason Gamrath
- “Earth Giant” by Benjamin Gazsi
- “Myth-or-Logic” by Robin Protz
- “Finding Beauty in Bad Things: Porcelain Vine” by Fraser Smith
- “Taking Flight” by MIchael Gard
- “Tired Pandas” by Nick Jakubiak.