The 2012 firearm deer season has arrived in Michigan. Six-hundred thousand hunters are expected to hit the woods this year.
The Michigan Department of Natural Resources wants to remind all hunters that the EHD outbreak, which has killed thousands of deer in the state, has had an effect on the deer population. However, the deer meat is safe to eat.
There are also a number of safety tips that the DNR wants every hunter to remember.
- Your hunting license and the identification used to purchase it (Michigan driver`s
license, identification card, or DNR sport card) must be carried with you at all
times while hunting.
- All hunters must wear an item of clothing (hat, cap, vest, jacket, or rain gear) in
- Hunting hours begin approximately one-half hour before sunrise and last until
approximately one-half hour after sunset.
- Safety zones include all areas within 150 yards (450 feet) of an occupied building.
- no use of alcohol or drugs while hunting.