Residents Displaced In Apartment House Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

An entire apartment building’s residents were displaced by fire in Kalamazoo overnight Sunday.

The fire started around 11:30 p.m. Sunday at the Northwinds Apartments on Douglas Avenue south of Alamo Avenue northwest of downtown Kalamazoo.

Many residents of the complex are disabled, many in wheelchairs. Tammy Baas, who is in a wheelchair, was among the residents who had to be carried down three flights of stairs.

About 50 residents were sheltered at the Christian Life Center Church next door, sleeping on cots provided by the local Red Cross. People from the Red Cross weren’t sure how long the temporary shelter would be needed. The center’s shower facilities are not handicapped accessible.

Many displaced residents also need their medications.

One firefighter suffered a cut on a hand, but seven other people also were hurt.

(On scene reporting by Nicole DiDonato, FOX 17)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s