Fire Caused by Propane Heater

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GRAND RAPIDS TOWNSHIP, Mich. – A small propane heater is likely to blame for a fire in a Grand Rapids Township home.

The fire started at around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday on the 1200 block of Kirk Drive SE.

Township Fire Chief Bob Versluys says it appears as if the heater was pointing at a small snowblower in the garage.

He says it looks as if the gas tank melted due to the heat and started the fire.

The fire was contained to the garage and did not spread to the home’s interior.

There were no injuries associated with the fire.

Firefighters also had to deal with cold conditions.

The chief says they use extra precaution in order to try not to slip on the ice that forms from the water used to fight the fire.

They also must keep water flowing through the hoses at all times so they don’t freeze up.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.