Having trouble receiving FOX 17? Click here:

4 Residents, 6 Deputies Treated In Apartment Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


KENTWOOD, Mich. — Four residents of Woodfield East Apartments and six officers who helped rescue efforts were treated for smoke inhalation overnight Sunday.

The fire was first reported around 12:53 a.m. at 6121 Woodfield Drive SE, the same location of a damaging garage fire January 2.

Two of the injured people were children, one treated resident was an adult. But six police officers who helped a handful of people get to safety were themselves treated for smoke inhalation.

The sheriff’s department identified the injured deputies as Kevin Daley, Jason Postma, Ed Kolakowski, Julie Vogelzang, Joel Langeland and Andrew Jonkman. On the department’s Facebook page, a description of the deputies’ actions provided by a Kentwood Police Department sergeant was posted. The sergeant commended the deputies for their bravery as they faced the dangers of smoke inside the third floor of the apartment building and searched for anyone who may still be inside.

“I know you are proud of the courage and commitment of those deputies,” the sergeant said.

There are 24 apartment units in the section of the complex involved in the fire. Twelve of those units were evacuated, and local American Red Cross staff are helping displaced residents find shelter.

The fire chief told FOX 17 it is believed the problem began when a resident tried to use water to put out a grease fire in a kitchen.

After the initial 911 call, more calls came in to dispatchers that people were trapped on the third floor. The deputies were the first on the scene and began the search for people inside.

Everyone who was treated for smoke inhalation was eventually released from the hospital.

(Photo courtesy: Shawn DeWolf)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


  • Anonymous

    So wood tv says tht the person tried to put it out with the sink sprayer…..last I knew u don’t add water to a grease fire it makes it worse duhh you have to smother it!! Amateurs I swear!! I guess it’s true if u can’t stand the heat stay the f*#k out the kitchen… Glad everyone is ok, bless the ones who lost everything

  • Anonymous

    I believe that top apartment has fires in it's grill in the summer. I always used to wait for that place to catch on fire. I could see it from my back yard of Southwood.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.