Having trouble receiving FOX 17? Click here:

Mobile Home On Fire Closes M-89

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PLAINWELL, Mich — A mobile home fire started a little before 8 a.m. Friday at a home in Allegan County.

The eastbound lanes of M-89 west of 12th Street in Plainwell were closed by fire units. Multiple crews were arriving to the scene around 8 a.m.

According to Captain Brandon Weber of the Otsego Fire Department, one man was home at the time. He told firefighters he awoke to the smell of smoke coming from the vents, as well as the smoke alarms going off. That man made it out safely with his animals. The actual homeowners were not there at the time.

Captain Weber said the homeowners just replaced the batteries in the smoke detector. As we approach Daylight Saving Time this weekend, firefighters remind us now is a good time to check smoke detectors and replace the batteries.

Firefighters will be looking into a cause.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


  • Jennifer

    I heard on the news that there were several animals that got out along with the man. How can I donate some pet food to him? Thank you :-)

  • Sabrina

    I have to say that I am the one that took that top left picture but I also want to say that there were two little girls that lived there, that now have lost everything I live right down the road in the park and these girls are twin 9 year olds if anyone has anything to help these girls out their room was at the back and one of the first to go so they could use toys, clothes etc. but the entire family is in need of anything that anyone might be able to donate and if anyone cant find the people to get in contact with them I do live in # 11 and would be more than happy to help pass any items onto the family. it was a mom dad the two girls and there roommate (who was the gentleman that was home at the time of the fire). Thank you everyone for all your help and support for this family during their time of need. :)

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.