Hastings 3-Year-Old Dies from Plastic Bag Suffocation

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NewtonHASTINGS, Mich. — A 3-year-old boy from Hastings died Tuesday after suffocating from having a plastic bag over his head.

Michigan State Police have ruled the death of Joel Newton accidental.  According to a press release, he was playing with his 5-year-old brother Monday, July 29, when he placed the bag over his head and was unable to remove it.

His brother alerted their father, who performed CPR while calling 911.  Joel passed away at Helen Devos Children’s Hospital Tuesday.

A fundraiser to help the Newton family with funeral costs will take place Aug. 10 at After Effects Hair Studio, 410 South Broadway Suite B in Middleville from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s