Thousands Attend Komen Race for the Cure

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RACE FOR THE CUREGrandville- Over 4 thousand runners and walkers were on hand for the 16th annual “Run For A Cure” in Grandville.

Survivors and supporters of all ages completed the 5 K course and all had their reason for being there.
Deb VanderWeide just completed a one year battle with breast cancer and it was her way of celebrating a victory over the disease. “it has been a long year, it means I fought breast cancer and won and by the grace of God I am here running today, a lot of prayers from friends and family and here I am”

For Mary Steffes she was there to honor her mother in law, a brave woman who lost her battle with cancer.
“it just lifts you up to where you can not even believe how high it lifts you. It is a true true inspiration to what family and love and hope all mean”

75 percent of all proceeds will go to education, screening and treatment programs.

For more information or to donate towards the Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure, go to their website at,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


    • tanya

      Almost all of the marketing is donated…It is always important to check facts. I know some organizations pay a lot to get their marketing. Komen West Michigan is very blessed with amazing marketing firms that are passionate about the cause. check out to hear stories of people who used those local dollars to pay for their tests. They are not CRAP. They are real people who's lives really were saved.

  • Contessa

    I agree, Hmm, 75% goe’s for “treatment” where does the other 25% go? This *cause* really needs to be looked into!

    ~Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.~

    -George Bernard Shaw

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.