Having trouble receiving FOX 17? Click here:

Three Charged In Grand Rapids Murder, Two Have Already Been Convicted

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich.- The murder of Jason Cherry has already led to two convictions and police are ready to charge three more suspects in the shooting death that occurred on December 29, 2013.

Cherry was found in his parents basement on Dickinson Street on the Southeast side of Grand Rapids.

Tamaine Foster and Isiah Latham have been convicted and are awaiting their sentencing.

Latham pleaded guilty to 2nd degree murder and testified against Foster who will be sentenced for felony murder and several other charges.

Nearly a year later, murder charges have been authorized for three more suspects, two of which are locked up and a third is still on the run and considered armed and dangerous.

“We knew the parties that were involved, just needed a few things to get in place and one being that trial that took place last week,” said Captain Jeffery Hertel.

Tory Overstreet and Craig Hureskin were in jail when murder charges for the December shooting death on Dickinson Street were issued.  Each were interviewed during the initial investigation and said to have lied to police.

“Two of the three were in custody on perjury charges related to this homicide,” said the Detective.  “So we knew where they were and I think that was a factor as to when they were gong to get charged.”

Police are still looking for a third person, Jeffery Slaughter-Butler.  He is wanted for what happened during what police call a robbery gone wrong.

“Five people got shot that night, not just the victim of the murder but four other people were shot on top of that,” said Capt. Hertel.  “It was very violent act so therefore we have to assume that he is still carrying a gun.”

Police said it’s a little unusual to issue new murder charges after two convictions in the case.  Police said despite three new murder warrants the case still remains under investigation.

“I wouldn’t close that door and it’s never going to be closed for victims,” he said.  “I don’t think it’s ever going to go away for the family.  I talked to the Cherrys on Saturday about it, that other charges were coming, they kind of knew that based on what was happening at the trial but I don’t think it ever goes away.”

Grand Rapids police said if you know where Slaughter-Butler is call the police or silent observer at (616) 774-2345.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

4 comments

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.