KENTWOOD, Mich- A family is safe Saturday morning after a fire started in their garage and spread to their home in Kentwood.
According to the Kentwood Fire department, the fire started in the garage of a home in the 1700 block of Waterbury Drive SE in Princeton Estates. When fire crews got to the scene the garage was fully involved and the fire was spreading to the first floor of the home.
The homeowner reported that he was alerted to the fire by the sounding of the car horn from within the garage. The homeowner then opened the interior door to the garage and discovered the fire.
He then alerted the rest of the family and they all evacuated the home. No one was injured.
The Red Cross is working with the family to provide temporary housing.
There were no working smoke alarms in the home at the time of the fire.
The Kentwood Fire Department wants to remind everyone that working smoke alarms save lives and should be installed and maintained in every home.