Registered dietitian and Meijer healthy living manager, Shari Steinbach, gives you some healthy recipe ideas for the holiday season.
Walnut–Herb Chicken Roulade
prep time: 15 minutes | cook time: 16 minutes | makes: 4 servings
- 4 (4- to 5-oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- ¼ cup finely chopped Meijer Walnuts, toasted
- ¼ cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella
- 1 tbsp. Meijer Classic Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place chicken on a cutting board. With the edge of the knife parallel to the board, cut down the length of the side of each breast almost (but not through) to the other edge, opening as you go. Then open the chicken like a book. Place between sheets of plastic wrap and pound to a ¼-inch thickness. Season with pepper to taste; set aside.
- For the filling, in a small bowl combine basil, thyme, oregano, walnuts and mozzarella.
- To assemble the roulades, place one-fourth of herb mixture in the center of each breast; spread to within 1 inch of edges. Roll chicken up and over filling, tucking in filling to enclose. Tie with kitchen string or secure with toothpicks.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof pan over medium-high heat. Add roulades; cook 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden. Place pan in oven. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F. Remove and discard string. Cut each roulade into slices, and serve.
Whole Grain Rice
Sweet Potato Bruschetta
Serves 6 as an appetizer (2 each)*
- 2 long, narrow sweet potatoes, unpeeled, scrubbed well, sliced into ½ inch slices
- Olive or vegetable oil for spraying
- Blue Cheese and Bacon Topping
- ½ cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup, plus 1 tbsp. blue or gorgonzola cheese
- 2 turkey bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh chives
- 1 tbsp. chopped walnuts (optional)
- Goat Cheese, Cranberry and Pumpkin Seed Topping
- ¼ cup fat-free cream cheese
- 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tsp. honey or agave nectar
- 1 tbsp. roasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp. dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat both sides of sweet potato slices with oil spray, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread potatoes out on a baking pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until knife-tender. Let cool completely before topping.
- For the blue cheese and bacon topping, in a small bowl combine yogurt, cayenne and ¼ cup of the blue cheese. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- For the goat cheese, cranberry and pumpkin seed topping, in a small bowl combine cream cheese, goat cheese and honey with a fork or whisk until smooth.
- To assemble, evenly spoon the blue cheese topping onto the center of half of the sweet potato slices. Spoon the goat cheese topping onto center of remaining half. Sprinkle blue cheese topping evenly with bacon, chives, remaining blue cheese, and (if desired) walnuts. Sprinkle goat cheese topping with pumpkin seeds and cranberries. Serve.
Nutrition information per serving: 80 calories, 2.5g fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 10mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 5g protein. * Nutritional analysis reflects sweet potato bruschetta topped with the bacon and blue cheese topping.