GRAND HAVEN, Mich. — Intense heat and flames forced firefighters to leave a burning home on Wednesday night. One had to exit through a window.
The house fire was reported at around 6:45 p.m. at 300 Arlington Street. When officers arrived, they noticed flames showing through the basement windows. Police and firefighters tried to get down into the basement, but were quickly driven back by the intense flames and heat.
The flames then spread into the rest of the structure, with firefighters trying to get control of it from the outside. They were still unable to make entry due to low visibility and the extreme conditions.
They eventually used high-expansion foam to extinguish the fire shortly before 9:30 p.m. However, the fire re-kindled overnight, and crews had to return to the scene until well into the morning.
The damage to the home is described as extensive. There were no injuries.