Having trouble receiving FOX 17? Click here:

Overnight Fire Likely Caused by Space Heater

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

gr oakleigh fireGRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — A space heater is likely to blame for an overnight fire in Grand Rapids.

It happened just before 8:45 p.m. Monday at a home on Oakleigh Avenue in the city’s northwest side.  A couch that was sitting in an enclosed porch had caught fire, and by the time crews arrived, the flames were spreading to the walls of the house.

One firefighter had a problem with his mask, and was taken to the hospital to be evaluated for exposure to smoke.

The Grand Rapids Fire Department was rotating crews to make sure nobody was in the cold for too long.

There were no injuries at the scene.

gr oakleigh fire2

gr oakleigh fire3

gr oakleigh fire

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.