Excessive Heat Warning Issued for West Michigan

Boy With Autism Saved By Quick Response Time, Grandmother Grateful

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (April 29, 2014) — The grandmother of a boy with autism who nearly drowned over the weekend credits his survival to emergency responders who were quick to act.

Watching Disney’s Frozen, while sipping on a blueberry drink and laughing with grandma, is all part of 10-year-old Owen Skilandis’ recovery process. But, it’s a joy that was almost lost.

On Saturday, Janet Krause said her grandson fell into the water near the Cedar Street marina in Manistee. As a grandmother, it’s a call Krause said she hoped to never get.

“I just remember screaming and my husband coming in and yelling, ‘what’s wrong?`” Krause said.

Her grandson was on a walk with his caregiver when he ran off. Krause said by the time the worker found him, he was standing on a ladder, stepping down into the water.

“She was holding onto him and calling 911,” Krause said. “She lost grip because he is very, very strong and the current took him.”

Within minutes, emergency responders arrived, but Owen was already face down in the water.

“The current was so bad that they had to pull the fire department guy out too and he was holding onto Owen,” Krause said.

Owen was airlifted to Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital and placed on life support.

“It really looked bad,” Krause said.  “We were preparing my daughter that we might be planning a funeral.”

Then on Monday, Krause’s prayers were answered. Owen was taken off the ventilator and began breathing on his own.

“I want to thank them (emergency responders),” Krause said. “I’m just so thankful that they were right there. ”

Krause said she also has a message to Owen’s caregiver.

“I do not blame her because he has gotten away from me, he’s gotten away from mom,” Krause said. “We’re thankful that she didn’t jump in… because if she did jump in we would be having two funerals [because of the current].”

Krause said Owen will get to leave the hospital and go home Tuesday night.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

1 Comment

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.