(Jun 26, 2014) Sarah Brodhead talks to Meijer Healthy Living Manager, Shari Steinbach, about a great summer recipe you can make for $10 or less.
Summer Southwestern Turkey and Vegetable Casserole
Makes 12 servings
1 tbsp. Meijer Classic Olive Oil – on hand
1 lb. lean ground turkey breast (or ground pork) – $5.35
1 tbsp. McCormick® Perfect Pinch® Salt Free Fiesta Citrus Seasoning – on hand
4 ears of corn, husks and silks removed (2 cups kernels) – $1.00
2 zucchini – $1.12
2 yellow squash – $1.12
1 (10-oz.) can low-sodium cream of mushroom or celery soup – $1.67
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise into rounds – $1.00
1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise into rounds – $1.00
1 red onion, thinly sliced – $0.50
2 cups baked tortilla chips crushed – $1.25
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley – $0.85
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat a 9×12-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add pork and seasoning; cook and stir 5 minutes or until pork is browned. Remove from heat.
- Place corn on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, cut kernels from cobs. Set aside. Using a mandoline or a sharp knife, cut zucchini and yellow squash lengthwise into slices 1⁄8-inch thick. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine mushroom soup and 1¼ cups water; mix well. Spread ¼ cup of the soup mixture in bottom of baking dish. Layer evenly with 1⁄3 each of the zucchini and yellow squash. Spread 1⁄3 of the remaining soup mixture over squash. Top evenly with 1⁄3 each of the pork, bell peppers, onion and corn. Repeat layers twice more, beginning with the zucchini and ending with the corn.
- In a small bowl combine crushed tortilla chips and cilantro; sprinkle evenly over casserole. Coat lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cover baking dish loosely with foil. Bake 40 minutes. Remove foil; bake 10 minutes more or until heated through and top is lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information per serving: Calories: 150, Total fat: 6g, Sodium: 205mg, Carbohydrate: 14g, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 12g.
Serve with: Whole Grain Tortilla Chips – $0.75
Frozen Yogurt – $1.25
TOTAL COST: $9.43
** NOTE: Recipe was divided in half for costing since it actually serve 12 people.