1 Hurt In Grand Haven Explosion And House Fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GRAND HAVEN, Mich. — A man was hurt when black powder exploded and his house burned at midday Friday.

At 11:06 a.m. Friday, Grand Haven Department of Public Safety officers responded to a report of a house fire at 612 Columbus St. in Grand Haven. Upon arriving at the scene, officers found the home’s second floor burning.

Public Safety officers extinguished the flames and ventilated the roof. They also performed an extensive overhaul to find hot spots in the ceiling and void spaces in the house.

An investigation revealed that a resident of the home was using black powder to manufacture homemade fireworks when the black powder exploded accidentally, starting the fire. The resident suffered burns to his arm during the blast.

The Grand Haven Department of Public Safety was assisted at the scene by Grand Haven Township Fire Rescue, the Ferrysburg Fire Department, Northwest Ottawa Community Hospital paramedics and the American Red Cross.

The blaze remains under investigation. When the probe is completed, the results will be forwarded to the Ottawa County Prosecutor’s Office for possible charges.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s