More than 40 Olivet College students hospitalized

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OLIVET, Mich. –  A total of 47 students at Olivet College went to the hospital in recent days with symptoms like light-headedness, nausea and dizziness.

According to Olivet Provost Maria Davis, on Wednesday 30 students were taken by the university and Eaton County Emergency Management to Hayes Green Beach Hospital in Charlotte to be tested for carbon monoxide exposure.

Those students have since been released.

Twelve other students transported themselves to the hospital, and Davis said an additional five were transported with symptoms Wednesday evening.

According to Davis, emergency officials tested all buildings on campus, and none of them tested positive for high levels of carbon monoxide.  It’s unclear what is causing the symptoms, and the university will be tested again in the morning.

Blair Hall, the men’s dorm, was evacuated Wednesday at about 1:30 p.m.  According to the Lansing State Journal, at least 25 of the students that were hospitalized lived in that building.

Davis said that the incidents started Tuesday evening when two athletes began feeling dizzy.  She said none of the students transported to the hospital were in “significant distress.”

Blair Hall residents are currently being housed in the athletic building.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

5 comments

  • Jay

    My kid goes to Olivet, but doesn’t live in Blair. Information on this is coming out pretty slowly. They deemed it CO poisoning; now it seems Blair did not test positive for elevated CO levels.

  • Matt

    When our house’s furnace got cracks in the heat exchanger, we didn’t know it, as our carbon monoxide detectors never went off. We may have lived like that for quite some time, as the cracks were HUGE. Luckily, it was discovered by the gas company during a routine maintenance check. Thankfully, we sleep with a window wide open all of the time. I think that and the fact that the return air vent is in the bedroom is what saved us. The gas company technician couldn’t believe he wasn’t there to investigate a death.

    I’m so happy no one was seriously affected!