Neighbors help family jump from roof during house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich.– A family is forced to jump to safety when their house caught fire, Monday morning.

It happened on the 1000 block of Boston Street SE in Grand Rapids.

“We heard screaming, ‘get the children out.”

That was enough to send Mark Allan running across the street and into his neighbors burning home.

“My wife said I think they are on the roof and I come out,” Allan recalled. “I caught one of the girls who can’t be more than 13.”

In all the chaos, Allan didn't remember how many people were rescued. But he believed the kids ranged in ages from several months to 14 years.

Allan said two other neighbors helped get the rest of them down.

According to firefighters, the fire started in the basement and spread upstairs. It was likely electrical in nature.

It's not yet known if anyone was injured from jumping from the roof, but everyone is safe.

The house did have smoke detectors.

The Red Cross is helping out that family.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.