Having trouble receiving FOX 17? Click here:

Neighbor prevents the spread of a fire by using their garden hose

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

PORTAGE, Mich.- A Portage resident prevented a fire from spreading after using his garden hose waiting for firefighters to arrive.

According to the Portage Department of Public Safety, a fire broke out at a home in the 1900 block of Ramona Ave around 2 a.m. Saturday morning.  Fire officials state that a neighbor called 911 and then took a garden hose and began applying water through a window, until firefighters arrived on scene.

When firefighters arrived on scene they found light smoke coming from the home and the fire almost extinguished.  Firefighters were able to determine that the fire started in a laundry area on the first floor of the home and that the home was vacant.

Damaged to the home is estimated at $50,000.

No injuries were reported.

This fire remains under investigation by the Portage Department of Public Safety.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.