Detroit area toddler dies from enterovirus D68

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DETROIT, Mich.- A 21-month-old toddler is the first person in the state of Michigan to die from the enterovirus D68.

21-month-old Madeline Reid, passed away Friday afternoon at the Children’s Hospital of Michigan according to a Facebook page set up for her.

According to the toddler’s family, Madeline was on life support since September 14. The virus has caused failure in most of Maddie’s organs. The virus also caused congestive heart failure and myocarditis, which has destroyed her heart.

The CDC states that enterovirus D68 causes flu-like symptoms and respiratory problems. The virus can be spread through coughing, sneezing and contact with contaminated surfaces.

To donate to the family, visit this link: http://www.gofundme.com/Pray-for-Maddy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s