Houseful of pets rescued in Grand Rapids fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- Fire damaged a home in northeast Grand Rapids Wednesday afternoon, but firefighters were able to save some animals from the heavy smoke.

The fire was reported at about 1:30 p.m. in the 2900 block of Coit Avenue.

A dog and a kitten were pulled from the home and given oxygen by emergency responders.  Ben Williams, the homeowner, works at a local pet hospital and rushed the animals there to be treated.

"I was up at work and our neighbors called us and I just got down here right away, and they had my dog and one of the kittens out here and they were giving them oxygen and helping them out because they were in pretty rough shape," Williams said.

A turtle and another kitten died in the fire.

Officials say the fire likely started in a turtle aquarium, and the home sustained smoke damage.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

2 comments