Possible Gas leak at Red Jet cafe shuts down Plainfield Avenue
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Staff had to evacuate the Red Jet Cafe at 1431 Plainfield Ave NE in Grand Rapids Thursday morning, however the cause of the evacuation depends on who you ask.
The Grand Rapids Fire Department says it was due to a possible gas leak around 8 a.m. However, a spokesman for the Gilmore Collection, which owns Red Jet, says it was only a malfunction of a compressor and the carbonics system for beverages, and not a gas leak at all.
Firefighters went into the restaurant but say they also evacuated until the gas could be shut off.
Either way, the busy road into and out of the downtown area was closed to traffic during the busy morning drive time.
Plainfield Avenue was closed between Quimby Street and Caledonia Street due to the fire units blocking the area.