Assault suspect charged with attacking MSP Trooper with taser in emergency room

Posted at 6:49 PM, Apr 07, 2015
and last updated 2015-04-07 18:49:44-04

COLDWATER – An assault suspect is now facing several felony charges after authorities say he attacked a Michigan State Police Trooper and a Coldwater Police Officer while at an emergency room receiving treatment for injuries suffered during a domestic dispute that ultimately led to his initial arrest.

31-year-old Robert Casto is charged with two counts of assaulting a police officer causing injury, along with assault with a dangerous weapon following an incident in the emergency room of Community Health Center in Branch County early Monday morning.

Casto was arrested on assault charges after Michigan State Police were called to a home in Ovid Township just after midnight.

Authorities say Casto had attacked his sister, ripping a door off its hinges to get to her before biting her on the buttocks, drawing blood.

Casto was taken to the emergency room after his arrest to get treated for a head injury he’d suffered following a separate altercation with his sister the night before.

Authorities say while at the emergency room, Casto attacked the State Trooper, who responded by taking out his taser to try to subdue Casto.  Authorities say Casto managed to take the taser away from the State Trooper and used it on the Trooper.

A Coldwater Police Officer, who was at the emergency room on another case, rushed to the Trooper’s aid.  Authorities say the two officers fought with Casto for several minutes before Casto was finally brought under control.

The State Trooper suffered bruises and a cut over his left eye, and because Casto also had open lacerations during the fight, an order was requested by the Michigan State Police to test Casto’s blood for pathogens such as hepatitis and HIV.

The Coldwater officer also suffered a shoulder injury in the scuffle.

Casto now faces three 4-year felonies for the altercation, along with a 2-year high court misdemeanor charge.

He’s being held on $100,000 bond, scheduled for another court appearance in the coming weeks.