Count Day: School attendance on Wednesday counts for 90% of state funding for districts

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LANSING, Mich. -- When it comes to school, attendance every day matters -- students can't learn if they aren't there.  But Wednesday, attendance counts a little bit more.

It is the Fall Count Day for public school districts in Michigan, and attendance counts for 90% of the state funding, making it a critical day for each district.  There is also a Spring Count Day in February that counts for the remaining 10% of funding.  The state offers a large amount of information on the Count Day/funding process here.

Many districts in the area have put together informational campaigns to boost attendance, and spread the word about the importance of Count Day.

The Grand Rapids Public School District, for example, has its annual “Campaign to Count Day” in full effect.  In addition to spreading information via social media platforms, phone calls, emails, and community involvement, they are offering some incentives to the students themselves.

Count Day celebration activities at GRPS include:

  • Districtwide “no school uniform” day
  • Special school-based activities and events
  • Plus, the school with the best attendance on Count Day wins a special visit from the Harlem Globetrotters

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


  • Bruce

    It’s funny how we only hear about this because of Grand Rapids and inner city schools. Other schools it’s not an issue since white kids go to school. Things that make ya go hmm

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.