BATAVIA TWP, Mich. — A Branch County man was airlifted to an Indiana hospital after accidentally shooting himself in the hand.
The Branch County Sheriff’s Office said a 57-year-old man was cleaning his 9mm handgun Sunday afternoon when he accidentally shot himself. He was not aware there was a round in the chamber when the gun fired into his left hand.
Deputies were called to the 300 block of Nash Road to assist with first aid. The man was ultimately transported to Parkview Hospital in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, by helicopter to treat his significant injuries.
The incident remains under investigation, however deputies don’t believe alcohol was a factor.