GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - A newly married husband and wife team who work as Kent County first responders teamed up to save a man from a heroin overdose.
Kent County Sheriff's Deputy Patrick Stewart was at the Cutlerville Fire Department last week when friends of a man came to the station and started pounding on the door. Outside, he found an unconscious man lying in the back of a car. The man was not breathing and had no pulse, according to a press release.
Stewart started CPR on the man and the man was regaining a pulse when the EMTs arrived. One of the EMTs was his wife, Amanda. The EMTs gave the man Narcan, which is a drug that fights the effects of opiods. The man has recovered.
Pat and Amanda have been married just four months. We'll have more from them on FOX 17 News later tonight.
The Kent County Health Department says that over a 24-hour period last weekend, six people overdosed on heroin in Kent County.