Having trouble receiving FOX 17? Click here:

Explosion damages Kalamazoo area home after gas leak

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Kalamazoo home after gas leak explosion.

Kalamazoo home after gas leak explosion.

TEXAS TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A home was boarded up after a fire and gas explosion Saturday night.

It happened around 11 p.m. to a home on Kaleb Cove, which is south west of Kalamazoo. Texas Township fire officials said a fire originated in the basement before spreading up the stairs to the first floor bedroom.

Fire officials said Consumer’s Energy had fixed a gas leak at the house on Thursday.  Authorities said there was a gas release in the basement but couldn’t determine at this time if the gas was the cause or a result of the fire.

The homeowner said she was with family on the other side of town when the house caught fire. According to authorities, she was moving out on Saturday and didn’t report smelling any gas.

The Texas Township Fire Department responded to the fire with the assistance of Oshtemo and Portage fire departments.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

1 Comment

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.