Grand Rapids Township house fire ruled accidental

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GRAND RAPIDS TOWNSHIP, Mich. -- Crews worked to put out a major house fire Thursday night.

The Kent County Sheriff's Office said fire crews were called out to the home just before 10:00 p.m.

It happened at home in the 3400 block of Hoag in Grand Rapids Township. Four different fire departments responded, and officials said that putting the fire out was particularly difficult because of the high winds. All the residents were able to escape.

Investigators have ruled that the fire was accidental. The fire chief tells FOX 17 that the fire started in the garage and that residents told them that earlier in the evening, a dish towel accidentally fell on a candle. They were able to extinguish the towel, but placed it in a garbage can in the garage because of the smell.  About an hour later, they smelled smoke and the fire had started.

The majority of the fire was contained to the garage and attic areas.  The main level of the home also sustained smoke and water damage.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.